Saturday, May 19, 2012

Week of the 14th: I Edited

I edited. Thats what I did this week. I edited. All week. Thats all I did. Editing.

At least thats what it feels like all I did was. In fact, I really got a lot accomplished. Editing two videos in one week (at least at my level) is quite impressive. Something I didn't expect when I was editing was the amount of research I had to do about the use of music. At first I thought that we would have to pay for royalty free music, but delving into some of the loopholes of music legality, I thought that I came to the conclusion that I could use Creative Commons music, as long as I wasn't getting payed in any way for it, I released the video as Creative Commons, and I credit the author of the song.

Then I did a little more research into Creative Commons licensing. There are several different types of CC licensing. There are six main types of CC licences. Theres Attribution (CC BY), Attribution Share Alike (CC BY-SA), Attribution No Derivatives (CC BY-ND), Attribution Non-Commercial (CC BY-NC), Attribution Non-Commercial Share Alike (CC BY-NC-SA), and finally Attribution Non-Commercial No Derivatives (CC BY-NC-SA). CC BY is the simplest: you must credit the author. CC BY-SA means you must credit the author and release the work in CC. CC BY-ND means you may not change the work. CC BY-NC means you cannot use it in commercial work. The other two are CC BY-NC in combination with the earlier CC licences.

This means that as long as the song isn't released in any version of CC BY-NC, we can use the song as we please, so long as we follow the copyright. CC things are always free, and since there are non-non-commercial licences available, finding free music to use is quite easy.

So I guess I didn't just edit.

No comments:

Post a Comment