Thursday, May 24, 2012

overview of the week

A couple of my coworkers took me to different places to see different sides of social work.  The first place I went to was a nursing home.  At the nursing home I learned about the different services that are out there for the elderly.  I also learned that social work for older people is just as challenging as any other sector of social work.  Making sure the elderly is taken care of and safe is a challenge when there are nursing homes who do not take care of their tenants.  I also learned that working with older people will not be apart of my furture plans.  I say that because of a personal interest I am more into children and helping the youth of cleveland.  When I visisted the family and child services I saw alot of the families and children who need help.  When I met with a friend of my Coworker Yolanda we talked about the issues deaing with teenagers in this day and age.  We also talked about how there are many children who have to grow up very quickly and get into to things that a child should not, just to survive.  For example a young boy has been a drug dealer since he was 12 because his mom left him and his sister due a drug addiction.  His older sister took care of the kids and he sold drugs to bring money to the house hold. I know children have to go through tis just because of my experience in East Cleveland.  It makes you look at situations different, a child selling drugs is not selling because he wants to or is a bad child.  He is selling drugs to provide for his family, since there is no parent to bring in income he had no choice at 12 years old.  As a social worker you have to leave your personal biases and expectations at the door.  When dealing with people and different situations anything can happen and anything is possible.  I learned that there are alot of sectors of social work, some lighter than others.  I know that i want to wor in the family and children services and help children.  I know that it will be hard but worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment