Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Monday-Wednesday

Monday I arrived at the studio early, so I sat around and waited for my sponsor Ms. Kolar to arrive (she told me she would be late) but once she did arrive she showed me around. The studio is pretty small, but perfect for the things we would do in house (video resumes, product demos, etc). She has a desk, I have a desk, and there is a little "cove" which is perfect for shooting small things. If we ever need to shoot larger things indoors, the owner of the building, Gordon, said we can use the basement. For any commercial work, we'd probably go out to shoot on location. Since Ms. Kolar isn't really responsable for the camera/sound part of the business, I spent most of the day indexing what equipment we had and testing it out. Everything seemed to be in working order, but we were still missing a few key items. I wrote them down, and we agreed to look over them and order them on Tuesday. A few other freelancers came in for "interviews." Since the work is mostly freelance stuff, everybody who comes in seems to be perfect for one job or another.

Tuesday was relatively uneventful. The first thing we did was go over the list of items I thought the studio needed. Today I set up a background and shot some test footage, which looks great. I was given the assignment of writing an "ask the expert" article, which is basically an advertisement in which an "expert" explains something about their field or offers advice. A copy of this is included in another blog post.

Wednesday is when things started getting exciting. From about when I arrived to around lunchtime, we went out to meet the owners of two businesses we will be shooting pro-bono. One is her brother, who owns Pro-Tec Electronic Repair. Something that amazed me (and gave me an idea for their commercial) is that they repair literally anything electronic, from TV's to ovens. I actually have something I need them to fix, so I will become one of their customers. The other store is called the Sampler. It's an arts and crafts gallery where local artists come in and can sell their items. They have a heavy focus on supporting local business and artists.

No comments:

Post a Comment