Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Monday & Wednesday (May 7-9)

This week has been a week full of AP cramming and aviation cramming (seems like much too much test prep for me). Unfortunately, my project has not been too eventful due to the fact that I've had only 2 half day sessions due to my extraordinary number of AP exams; at least they're almost over, only one more left! I figured I would just make this post much longer than normal to account for the missed blog post on Monday. The weekend and the beginning of my week were pretty brutal - especially when it comes to flight school. I spent most of my time doing self study of the FAR AIM (in short, the US Federal Aviation Administration's law book). It has been keeping me extremely busy, there are way too many technical laws and regulations that need to be memorized before I take my written exam, hopefully next week. This book includes everything from seatbelts to airspace to medical certificates and everything in between. I've also spent my week trying to hunt down an FAA certified physician to get my Class C medical certificate, which will give me my official Student Pilot Certificate so I can solo later this month.

Tuesday, since my exams went as late as 1pm, and my flight instructor's wife just had a baby over the weekend, we decided to call it a self-study day where I began reviewing for my FAA exam, mixing in a little calculus review along the way. There is so much information you need to know for a test that is only 60 questions long. Today, we finally are done with the main part of regulations that I need to know for the exam, so I was able to progress into Airport Procedures and A/FD information; needless to say, it was much less boring than the regulations. I learned about airplane right-of-ways, avoiding collisions, how to fly in day, dark and haze, typical flight patterns...the list goes on and on. We spent so much time discussing all of these things today. Towards the end, we talked about the A/FD and different airport signs and lights, what to look for when you land and other important information pertinent to takeoff, taxiing and landing. Good news! - As long as the weather is good on Friday (currently it says 66 and sunny, which would be perfect) I will have my first in-air flight lesson :) I will keep you all posted to what happened on Friday after flight school.

1 comment:

  1. Excited to hear about your experience of getting in the air!

    ReplyDelete