Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Christian Internship! week one // part two

May 4, 2012 Yesterday, we spent the day helping to work on and clean some of the church’s property used for retreats and conferences. It’s about an hour away, in the middle of the countryside, where you can see Amish people in their buggies and horses on the road if you look hard enough. The day was incredibly hot. I alternated between weeding and doing laundry for all the blankets in one of the cabins – we must have washed about 60 or 70 blankets altogether. Laundry sounds like a really easy and lame job to do, but it actually felt like one of the most difficult tasks I’ve ever had to do – there was the tediousness, the sorting, the inspecting, the precise measuring out of detergent every time… Actually, the worst thing about it was probably the lack of a sense of accomplishment, since well, it was laundry. I mean, I had to carry heavy things too; I tried carrying a large, weighty basket of thickly stacked blankets across the half-mile path to the other house by balancing it on my head, just to make it a little more interesting, but I gave up pretty quickly. Other interns did all sorts of jobs, like clearing certain parts of the woods, building wooden platforms, gardening. It was a long day, from about 9 to 6 – the iced coffee I gulped down on the way back had never tasted so good before.

No comments:

Post a Comment