Wednesday, May 16, 2012

My senior project for me takes place at Lauree P. Gearity Elementary School. On Monday I was in Mrs. Golenburg’s first grade classroom, whom was formally my kindergarten teacher. In the classroom there are about 20 children and a student teacher from John Carroll who was on his final week of his internship. We started off the day with the children handing in their homework from the previous night that consisted of some reading, writing, and math. Then the children would go check themselves in with the attendance on the smart boards and take their seats at their respected tables. At each table there was a worksheet that they finished and then split into their reading groups. At this point one third of the class went into a different first grade room, another third of the class went to another first grade class, and the last third stayed in Mrs. Golenburg’s classroom. I was instructed to one by one sit down with the each first grader in that classroom and read the same book with them. During this time I realized how smart these children really are and how broad their vocabulary is. Throughout the day I got acquainted with some more of the children and during their snack time I got the chance to read them the book If You Take a Mouse to School.   During the second half of the day the children started their math work to which they did addition, subtraction, working with money, and multiplication. I was also able to give them different word problems with the addition and subtraction problem. At the end of the day I was also granted the opportunity to award one of the students with the Tiger Pin, which is awarded to the student who shows amazing leadership, great class work, a good friend, and is an all-around ‘superstar’.

No comments:

Post a Comment