Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Day 1 (Well, kind of...)

Yesterday I met with one of my actual flight instructors for the first time (Kevin). We did a lot of review, just to see what I had learned over the last two months working with my sponsor (Frank; pilot for United). Yesterday we mostly discussed aerodynamics. This mostly includes how lift is created, the four forces acting upon an airplane (gravity, lift, thrust & drag), wing stalls, spins, wake turbulence, ground effect, etc. The list never seems to stop. We also talked about flight patterns that I would need to do in order to get my license: S-turns about a road, circles about a point, and the typical rectangular course when landing into an airport. Sounds pretty simple, right? Well, the hardest part about this is that you have to adjust the aircraft for wind, which could potentially mean I would be flying sideways if we had the typical winds that come along with winter in Cleveland. Overall, yesterday was a nice review of what I had gone over with my sponsor for the last two months. Hopefully I will be able to take my FAA written exam in the next week or two, and I should be up in the air either by the end of this week or the beginning of next!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds great Riley! I have been getting so much work done without you girls around! But I will have a 9 page sp1 exam to grade come monday...

    ReplyDelete