Sunday, May 20, 2012

Friday was a very personal day to me, I took more in through the one on one conversation I had with the 4th graders and I sat in on. The day started off with one of the boys who most of the time is more lively coming into the classroom with a blank expression on his face saying nothing. Thursday afternoon he had left school early complaining of chest pain that he was undergoing after a game of basketball during recess. I later found out that morning that he was taken to the hospital where he was checked out and the doctors told him that he could no longer participate in sports which he loved. The doctors told him that he would have to go see the heart doctor this week to make sure everything was okay. He was afraid because one of his brothers died from a hole in his heart and his aunt is currently going through heart complications. Knowing this and seeing the expressions on his face I decided to call him over to sit down and talk to me. Throughout the past week he has been one of the 4th graders who warmed up to me the fastest and has been closest to me. I asked him his fears of what was going on and how he felt about it and then I explained to him my encounter with a similar problem last year. Many people may know that last year I was on a heart monitor during the musical and afterwards as well. I told him don't be scared because I thought that I wouldn't be able to participate in the musical just like he thinks that he may not be able to play basketball any more. Through my previous health history I let him know that it could possibly just be that he has asthma, which is the reason why after he plays sports he is experiencing chest pain. I also informed him if this is the case that it is also treatable. He then told me that one of his brothers does have asthma as well that didnt show up until a little later in his life. I instantly saw his face light up and instead of being down about his problem not wanting to participate in anything including their trip in two weeks to Stone Lab, he started looking at the brighter side. Though he could not participate a recess he had just as much fun sitting on the sideline watching and rooting for his friends while they played basketball.

No comments:

Post a Comment