Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Christian Internship! week two // part two

May 9, 2012 This week is all about gospel preaching. We’ve been talking to people on the streets for about 6 to 10 hours a day. I’ve been meeting all sorts of people – from the drug-addicted and the homeless to self-proclaimed hipsters who hang out on Coventry. It’s kind of amazing to realize that I don’t know people that well and that it’s so hard for me to get out of my comfort zone talk to people that don’t look like you and seem so many worlds apart from you on so many levels. One of the places we visited was what might be considered an “inner city” neighborhood – I had no idea how to talk to most people there. In the three-person team I was on, only one of the interns felt comfortable talking to most of the people we encountered. I soon learned that as long as I was friendly and open about what I wanted to talk about, a lot of people didn’t seem as wary of me as they might otherwise be. Interestingly, a lot of the people we stopped to talk to were Muslim, and we had a few rather long debates about our different beliefs. After an exhausting few hours in the neighborhood, we drove downtown and stopped and talked to people for a few more hours. There’s just been a lot of talking to people, listening to people, and talking some more…

No comments:

Post a Comment